Spring Community Day: May 5th, 2021
While we can't be in person, we can still have fun with our community. Get out with your family and enjoy activities in your own back yard or neighborhood, or at one of the many parks around the state and/or enjoy a day of fun with virtual sessions hosted by your Community Partnerships team and school faculty & staff. There are no classes on Community Day so you can participate in one or more of the following activities:
Bring your GCA spirit and join in on the fun to get the day started. There will be cheering, games, music and video highlights from GCA events. Look for communication from your school (Elementary, Middle, High School) for access information. The Pep Rally begins at 9:30 AM.
State Parks & Historic Sites
Registration for State Park & Historic Site events is now OPEN!
Participate in fun events at various locations across the state hosted by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources State Parks & Historic Sites. Not every State Park will host an event, but those who are listed have agreed to host programming at various locations that you can register to attend. Each program offering will be hosted by the specific state park or historic site location. Be sure to check the time, location and program offering before registering. Sessions are limited and once they are full, they will close for the day.
Share with the Community
Share the fun! Post your photos from your home and outdoor activities to show us how you are having fun on May 5th! Please use any of the tags below to showcase how you're celebrating GCA Fall Community Day.
Hashtags: #GCAcommunityDAY #GCAgivesahoot #RiseAimSoar #GCAchampions #TalonsUp
More details about all Community Day activities is outlined below.
Attention - Please See Below for Important Cost updates!!!
In our partnership with the State Parks to host our in person options, this year, we will be also covering the costs for Georgia Cyber Academy families to attend park programs on their own.
In order for your admission to be covered, you must turn in a liability waiver and media release to Rosita Gutierrez by 4.29.2021.
You MUST be pre-registered to receive a space for the event, you must contact the site directly to register and note your information.
>>> Spots are first come first served and will fill fast.<<<
They have limited the capacity for each program to help with social distancing, safety and staffing at the location. You may choose to register and pay on your own if you like. Fees will only be covered if you are confirmed as pre-registered and turn in both forms. You can attach the two forms to the Registration form below, please upload the signed documents and complete all fields on the form before submitting.
As a reminder, GCA staff will not be hosting these events, families would attend on their own.
Visit a State Park
Registration for State Park & Historic Site events is now Open!
You can visit any available location listed on the Georgia Department of Natural Resources State Parks & Historic Sites website. The state park system has also organized a list of fun and engaging programs for you to participate in. Program prices range from $2.00 - $10.00 and reservation will be made directly with the park. Each park program has a limited capacity, so reserve as early as you can and only register if you are certain of your attendance. Payments and fees will be made directly to the state park location you attend.
Registration for State Park & Historic Site events is now Open!
- Programming offered by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources State Parks & Historic Sites will not be hosted by or receive assistance from GCA. The locations are offering sessions for GCA students, families, and staff to enjoy on their own.
- All Georgia state parks have parking fees. Please see information for the location(s) you choose to visit for specific parking rates and information.
- Be sure to review all information about the program(s) offered at the location you choose to visit.
- Check the state park location and get directions ahead of time so you are aware of travel time or restrictions.
- Confirm the time and details about the program(s) you plan to attend as well as any specific rules or regulations set by the park location(s).
*This year, we will be also covering the costs for Georgia Cyber Academy families to attend park programs on their own. In order for your admission to be covered, you must turn in a liability waiver and media release to Rosita Gutierrez by 4.29.2021.
- Contact the location with any questions about the program(s) offered or if you need directions or other clarifying information.
- Don't forget to book the program(s) you plan to attend directly with the Georgia state park you plan to visit.
- Arrive on time for your scheduled program(s) on May 5th so you don't miss out.
Date: May 5th, 2021
Facilitator: Tonette Price Assistants: Monique Sheffield, Desmond Brown & Rosita Gutierrez
Virtual sessions will kick off with school pep rallies at 9:30 am followed by various sessions hosted by GCA Faculty & Staff. Session times will vary and have a capacity for the number of participants. Basic information is listed below. Check your Canvas for specific session descriptions, times, and links.
Got Pictures? You can have people send pictures to communitypartners@
Remember this is a list of locations but be sure to look in your area for museums and locations that are live streaming or having daily events that are recorded that you can display and have discussion time on. Remember to view the sites first before you event and plan out how you will be interactive with videos and with your students!
Enjoy Community Day!
*As a reminder, appropriate attire is required for any session that may allow for video. Please also remember to remain on mute so that everyone can enjoy each session. Some of the rooms may have large attendance so we will have helpers to assist with questions in the chat box. Be sure to come to the session on time to make sure you hear all instructions upon entering. All etiquette is listed in the school handbook. Please note failure to follow the rules of the session would cause for removal of a student for the duration of the online event.
Virtual Field Trips https://www.pbslearningmedia.org/collection/virtual-field-trips/#.XqhBsJl7m00
*scroll down to view a virtual tour video
Scroll to the bottom for fun videos and view cameras at the Zoo as well https://zooatlanta.org/
https://www.zoochat.com/community/media/categories/chattanooga-zoo.993/ GCA Community DAY 2
Many locations also do live streams and archive videos on Facebook
Hands on Science
- Where can I find all information on sessions offered for the day?
- When should I login?
- Are there live classes on Community Day?
- Is Community Day required?
- Will cameras, mics and chat be open for all sessions?
- Some of sessions are on Microsoft Teams, how can I login?
- Can I go outdoors on Community Day?
- Do I have to pre-register to attend?
- Are there any suggestions for outdoor activities?