Promotion & Retention Policy
Georgia Cyber Academy (“GCA”) is a charter school that is provided under O.C.G.A. Section 20-2-2065 a waiver of certain requirements of Title 20 of the Official Code of Georgia, including but not limited to the requirements of O.C.G.A. Sections 20-2-282 through 285 regarding the retention and promotion of students. Consistent with the flexibility provided to GCA under O.C.G.A. Section 20-2-2065, GCA desires to establish an appropriate policy regarding the procedures for promotion, placement and retention of its students.
The placement or promotion of a student at GCA into a grade, class, or program shall be based on an assessment of the academic achievement of the student and a determination of the education setting in which the student is most likely to receive the instruction and other services needed in order to succeed and progress to the next higher level of academic achievement, in a manner consistent with the policy set forth below.
- I. Definitions
- II. PROMOTION, PLACEMENT, AND RETENTION REQUIREMENTS FOR GRADES KINDERGARTEN through GRADE 8
- III. GCA PROMOTION, PLACEMENT AND RETENTION CRITERIA
- IV. APPEALS OF PLACEMENT, PROMOTION AND RETENTION DECISIONS GRADES KINDERGARTEN THROUGH GRADE 8
- V. REQUIREMENTS FOR GRADES 9 —12
- VI. COMPLIANCE WITH FEDERAL AND OTHER APPLICABLE LAWS AND RULES
- Legal citations