Students attend Class Sessions through the CLASS Interactive platform.
Always begin by looking at your schedule in your Canvas Calendar (or Infinite Campus). Once you have determined when your class meets, go to that course in Canvas at the right time. In the Calendar example below, Math meets at 8:15 am and ELA meets at 9:30 am.
In the course, click on the Class button. Pay close attention to the Period number listed under Topic. At the correct time period for your schedule, click the Launch button indicated. Do not use the buttons at the top of the page.
The Class session will open in a new tab of the Chrome browser and you will find yourself in a Waiting Room. Please be patient! The teacher will let you in to Class.
- Activities in Class
- Using the Microphone and Video in Class
- Breakout Rooms in Class
- Allowing the Teacher to View Your Screen (Proctor Mode)
Teachers use many different types of activities in Class for instruction, including some of the following.
- Sharing their screen
- Launching the Clever login page or a page in Canvas
- Using a whiteboard
- Launching a web page
- Playing a video
- Sharing a poll or survey
The Class room with your teacher is one of the open tabs in the Chrome browser, but any activity the teacher is leading can be found along the black tabs in Class. The picture below shows the browser tab for Class.
The following pictures show you the black tabs found in Class when the teacher shares the screen, launches Canvas or Clever, opens a whiteboard, a web page, a video, or poll. Note the difference between the Class in your browser and the activities in the black tabs.
Launching LMS (Canvas, Clever, etc.)
If you are working in another browser tab and need to go back into the Class, simply click on the browser tab shown as Class with the yellow and blue logo.
Even if you accidentally close the window of one of the activities, simply click the Launch button for the activity still open in any tab or go to Student Tools and click on the activity listed there.
When you first join Class, you may be asked to Join Audio by Computer with a blue button. Click the button to allow your audio.
If you see a red button that says Leave Computer Audio, choose to click the "x" in the upper right corner instead.
Once you are in Class, your teacher may allow or disallow the use of microphones and videos in Class. If you are unable to turn on your microphone or video, always ask the teacher first to see if you have permission.
If the teacher confirms that you should be allowed to use them, make sure that they are enabled in the site settings.
Always Reload to update the settings.
Your microphone and video controls are in the lower left side of your Class.
If the teacher is asking you to use your microphone, you may see this message. Click Unmute to use your microphone.
When you are finished speaking, click Mute in the lower left corner to turn off your microphone.
If the teacher is asking you to turn on your video, you may see this message. Click Start My Video.
Teachers can create Breakout Rooms in Class and assign you to the one you need to join.
When a teacher has created Breakout Rooms, you will see the following blue message in Class. Wait patiently.
Once your teacher has assigned your Breakout Room you will see the following message pop up on your screen. Click Join.
1. You can identify your Breakout Room in the first tab at the top. If you click on this tab you may see the other participants in the same Breakout Room.
2. Your teacher may have launched activities for you to complete in other tabs seen at the top.
3. Clicking on the tiny gray arrow up will make the activity bigger on your screen.
You may also identify your Breakout Room in the Participants as shown below.
Once your teacher has placed you in a Breakout Room, they may move you to another one without a notification to you. Use the first tab and Participants to see what room you are in.
In any Breakout Room in Class:
- You will not see the teacher on video unless they have joined your specific Breakout Room. Note the image below does not show the teacher in this Breakout Room.
- You will only see the list of participants in your Breakout Room, not in the whole class.
- You may chat with the teacher if you have questions. Click on Chat. Choose the dropdown. Find your teacher(s) listed in between the two lines.
- Your teacher may send a message to all the breakout rooms that will temporarily display along the top.
When it is time to leave the Breakout Room, you may click on the blue Leave button to go back to the main Classroom. If your Leave button is red, then you are about to leave the entire Class session.
If, at any time, you still see this symbol spinning, please wait for Class to finish loading.
Your teacher (or FEL) may request to view your screen so that they can offer help.
When they do, you will see the following message. Click Yes.
In the next pop-up, choose each of the following:
1. Choose Entire Screen
2. Click on the picture of your screen to see a blue line around it
3. Click on the blue Share button
Your own view in Class will not change but you can tell that you are sharing your screen by the Proctor view enabled message under the Classroom tab. Anywhere you go to on your screen/desktop is now visible to the teacher.
If you are finished with the Proctor view, find the square button in the upper left corner of Class and click it to exit the proctor view.
Choose Exit proctor view if you are done or Cancel if you wish to continue having the teacher view your screen.
At the end, whether you or your teacher have ended the proctor view, you will see this confirmation. Click OK.
Follow these steps for basic troubleshooting in Class.
- Be patient! Each page for Class may take a moment to load. Pause a moment to let it load before clicking on anything. If, at any time, you still see this symbol spinning, please wait for Class to finish loading.
- Because your are joining Class from the web, it's important to make sure your Chrome browser is updated and the cache is cleared. Use the linked articles below to help you.
- Check to see that your camera and microphone are enabled in the browser after each time that you clear your cache.
After you have allowed them in site settings, be sure to Reload the page to update the settings.
- If you see the message shown below, you will need to check the site settings, as shown above, to make sure the microphone is allowed.
- If you join the session and see only a black screen, refresh the browser tab of Class and join the session again.
From time to time you may see an error message in Class. Below are common errors and how to resolve them.
- At any time, if you see this message, choose OK and you will rejoin the session.
- When a teacher has asked you to join a breakout room, if you see this message, simply click Yes and the meeting will have you re-join the session, sending you directly back to the breakout room.
- You will need to enable your microphone (and camera, if needed) in the browser to resolve the error below.
Click on the lock symbol in the URL field to find the site settings and allow the microphone and camera.
Be sure to Reload to update the settings.